24/7 ASSISTANCE 800.798.7713

Rehab is a Drug College

Last Updated on June 14, 2023

taylor wilson active recovery companions
Taylor Wilson
Certified Recovery Specialist

Rehab is like a drug college for young people. I have noticed this time and time again with adolescents and young adults entering rehab. They go to rehab for a marijuana addiction for example and while there they get a crash course in all the different drugs. They obviously don’t learn this from the staff, it is the other clients they learn it from.

While I personally attended rehab in my younger years as well as worked in them as I got older I noticed that young adults all want to be the “worst” addicts. They sit together exchanging war stories, “no man, you don’t understand how bad I was…” each person grinding their teeth itching to tell their own drug story to top the story of their peer.

What is the harm in this, you may ask? From what I have seen the individual that goes in with a marijuana or alcohol dependence, for example, gets made to feel less-than, like they don’t qualify as a “real” addict.

Unfortunately, the relapse rate in the first year is something around 90%. That means that the individual going into rehab for marijuana addiction will be made to feel less then for his/her addiction, will learn the whole gambit of other drugs available, as well as make lots of new connections in the drug world (via peers in rehab), and he/she statistically only has a 10% chance of staying sober. Therefore, on the 90% chance that they DO relapse, they are now well educated about all the other drugs that are out there and, in my experience, will seek them out.

I do not know why professionals in the rehabilitation industry are not doing more to address this problem. If you ask any tech, in any rehab, they will verify what I’m saying. I am not sure how to combat this, separating individuals based on their drug of choice may be a good start.

It also points to why working with a sober companion or sober coach at home can be more beneficial and eliminate, what is in my opinion, unnecessary risk of being exposed to potentially toxic peers.

If you would like me to explain anything further please email me. I am happy to answer any questions.

Post Categories: , ,
taylor wilson active recovery companions

Taylor Wilson

Owner & Certified Recovery Specialist

Taylor Wilson is an experienced author, owner of Active Recovery Companions, and a Certified Recovery Specialist. Since 2015, Taylor has provided personalized recovery coaching to diverse clients, from high-profile individuals to young adults seeking assistance in various areas of life. With a background in Sociology and Psychology, along with certifications in CPR, CRS-1, PADI Scuba Diving, MITT, and NASM-CPT, Taylor offers holistic support and guidance. Their own journey of sobriety since 2012 adds a personal touch to their work. Through their writing and compassionate coaching, Taylor empowers individuals, fostering personal growth and helping them lead fulfilling lives in recovery.

sober companion logo for active recovery
Active Recovery Companions: Your trusted source for sober companions, sober coaches, and sober transport services. Our experienced professionals provide personalized support, guidance, and accountability, helping you achieve lasting sobriety and a fulfilling life in recovery. Let us be your partner in the journey to wellness.
Sober CompanionRecovery CoachMental Health CompanionRecovery Consultants
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram